Computer printers are an important peripheral for any business houses today. The use of printer is endless you can use a printer for printing reports, documents, publishing newsletters or for just printing photos. There are many types of printers but one of the most preferred printers in many big business houses today is a laser printer.
A laser printer utilizes a laser beam to produce an image on a drum. The light that the laser releases alters the electrical charge on the drum. The drum is then rolled through a toner picked up by the charged portions of the drum. Finally the toner is transferred to the paper through a combination of heat and transfer.
Suggested Reading: Choosing the best photo printer
Laser printers are considered to be the most ideal printing tools for printing today. Initially due to their high cost they were only favorable to big business houses however off late with a fall in prices they have been accepted in both homes and office environments.
Laser printer is known for its high quality text printing and excellent graphics printing. Though laser printer has a much higher initial cost as compared to inkjet printers or dot-matrix printers but they have a comparatively much lower running cost.
Laser printers are controlled through page description languages (PDLs). Page description languages have two de facto standards
- Printer Control Language (PCL)
Most software can print using either of these page description languages. PostScript is more expensive than PCL but it has additional features that PCL lacks.
Tips that can help you select the right printer
- Decide what type of documents you will be printing
- Decide what features you will need like ability to handle large files, ability to print on various media, two or more paper trays etc
- Compare the print quality of different printers
- Compare the resolutions of different printers
- Compare the speed specifications of different printers
- Check whether the printer’s paper path is sharper than 90 degrees to handle envelopes, card stock and transparencies.
- Compare printer warranties and service contacts.
If you sit and work upon the above useful tips you will realize that laser printer just fits the bill.